Shefik Wins 3 MarCom Awards for His ‘Invocation’
NEW YORK — MarCom Awards announced winners in the 2016 creative competition for marketing and communication professionals. There were 6,500 entries from throughout the United States, Canada, and 17 other countries. Media personality Shefik has won a total of three awards in the competition for his nationally-syndicated terrestrial radio show, Shefik presents Invocation. Two MarCom Gold Awards were presented to the radio show itself (under the category "Radio: Program"), and one MarCom Platinum Award was presented to the show’s website at invocation.co (under the category "Digital Media: Website - Entertainment"). The MarCom Platinum Award is the highest honor that can be bestowed.
MarCom Awards recognizes outstanding achievement by creative professionals involved in the concept, direction, design, and production of marketing and communication materials and programs. Entries come from corporate marketing and communication departments, advertising agencies, public relations firms, design shops, production companies, and freelancers.
Judges are industry professionals, who look for companies and individuals whose talent exceeds a high standard of excellence and whose work serves as a benchmark for the industry. Winners are selected from over 300 categories in Print, Web, Video, and Strategic Communications.
MarCom Awards is one of the oldest, largest and most prestigious creative competitions in the world. It is sponsored and judged by the Association of Marketing and Communication Professionals (AMCP), a 22-year-old international organization, consisting of several thousand creative professionals. As part of its mission, AMCP fosters and supports the efforts of creative professionals who contribute their unique talents to public service and community organizations. Over the past few years, AMCP has given over $200,000 in charitable contributions.
"Thank you to all of the featured guests and production crew members, who have joined me on this profound journey," says Shefik. "I am humbled by this honor, and I look forward to even more life-defining discovery in the continuance of the journey."
The award-winning episodes of Shefik presents Invocation are as follows:
- "Songs to Invoke Love": This particular episode, which is the 6th episode of the show, features five-time Grammy Award winner Dionne Warwick; recording artist Sonny Turner (Former Lead Singer of The Platters, and inductee into the Beach Music Hall of Fame, and Vocal Group Hall of Fame); board-certified naturopath and holistic health advocate Dr. Laurén Laurino ("America's Holistic Sweetheart"); and publicist Alafaka Opuiyo (Owner at Dynamic Public Relations); as well as messages from Grammy Award winner Gerald Alston (Lead Singer of The Manhattans); and Grammy Award nominee Kathy Sledge (best known as Lead Singer of Sister Sledge). Production Crew: Shefik (Executive Producer, Host and Writer), Frank McIntyre (Writer), Mokay Kamara (Production Assistant), Abdul Wells (Production Assistant), Dominick Rienzi (Production Assistant).
- "Songs to Invoke Society": This particular episode, which is the 11th episode of the show, features actor and comedian Jason Stuart (The Birth of a Nation); Mathew Knowles (Founder and CEO at Music World Entertainment); and recording artist M.C. El Bee ("an invisible legend of hip-hop"); as well as messages from recording artist Sarah Dash of Labelle (and former member of Patti LaBelle & the Bluebelles); recording artist Denise Wilkinson of the legendary Ladies of SKYY (formerly of the R&B/funk/disco band Skyy); recording artist Almighty Jahwel of the critically-acclaimed hip-hop group Son of Bazerk; and archival footage by Princess Elizabeth and Princess Margaret of England. Production Crew: Shefik (Executive Producer, Host and Writer), Frank McIntyre (Writer), Neddy Smith (Production Assistant), Dominick Rienzi (Production Assistant), Mokay Kamara (Production Assistant).
For the award presented to the show's website at invocation.co, Shefik is credited as Architect and Developer.
"Discussing the term 'Society' on Shefik presents Invocation was one of the most thought-provoking interviews I've had to date," says featured guest Mathew Knowles, who is also the former manager of Destiny's Child and the father of Beyoncé and Solange Knowles. "It was quite refreshing, commenting on the challenges of being a member of society, or lack thereof, and how that might affect others. Thanks Shefik, for allowing me to be a part of 'Invocation'. Congratulations on your industry award and continued success in all that you do."
In celebration, listeners can tune-in to the following, for encore broadcasts of the award-winning episodes:
Saturday, December 17, 2016 at 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. PT (9 p.m. to 10 p.m. ET)
- Loma Linda, CA - KCAA 102.3 FM and 1050 AM (CNBC and NBC Sports affiliate)
- Moreno Valley, CA - KCAA 106.5 FM (CNBC and NBC Sports affiliate)
Sunday, December 18, 2016 at 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. MT (6 p.m. to 7 p.m. ET)
- Phoenix, AZ - KFNX 1100 AM (50,000 watts)
If you are not located in any of those areas, you can listen to the show's live stream during any of the dates and times indicated via the show's website at invocation.co/show/episode/songs-to-invoke-love and invocation.co/show/episode/songs-to-invoke-society.
These particular episodes are sponsored by Nyea's Party (nyeasparty.com), who specializes in custom ballon decor for corporate and private events, as well as multicultural party supplies.
Shefik is an accomplished industry insider, who has appeared on MTV, SiriusXM, PBS, network television, and in print media. He has held senior-level positions at many Fortune 500 companies and celebrated brands, including IBM, NBCUniversal, MTV World, Merriam-Webster, and Wolters Kluwer. A seasoned pro in social media with a career background as a Lead Architect and Senior Web Developer, Shefik is on the cutting edge of new media. As a videographer and producer, his work has been featured in television broadcasts and video productions for TIME Magazine, The Washington Center, Unsung (TV One), and Broadway World. Additionally, his photography has been featured in print and online publications, such as Harvard Kennedy School Magazine, Playbill, and China Press.
About 'Shefik presents Invocation'
Aptly titled Shefik presents Invocation, the nationally-syndicated radio show is a mesmerizing and thought-provoking journey through musical discovery and appreciation that spans the decades. The show is currently broadcast on 22 terrestrial radio stations and frequencies throughout the United States. Each one-hour episode, executive-produced and hosted by media personality Shefik, highlights one relatable focal point (chosen by Shefik), along with an accompanying playlist of songs (curated by Shefik), encompassing a unique thematic concept that invigorates the audience with creative impact. Top recording artists, actors, business executives, politicians, community leaders, and other special guests are invited to offer their own commentary on the weekly topic, as a supplement to Shefik's engaging mindset. The radio show's online hub at invocation.co serves as a conduit for discussion of the show, while featuring related videos and auxiliary content. The journey continues right here and everywhere.